Box is an online tool that allows you to store up to 5GB in the cloud. For those who do not know what the cloud is, it recreates the functionality of a hard disk but on the web.
Box is one of those companies that promotes and develops navigation in the cloud and has created virtual hard disks that can have the same advantages of a real one but in the web browser. With box you can: play, view, and create files in the cloud without external agents, This is a great solution for those who need to stay on the web but have the need to create or play these files.
What Is Box?
Box, is an Internet service for file sharing. Basically this service uses the cloud to allow users to share files or entire folders with other users, even users who do not subscribe to the service. Which is nice because it allows anyone to share files.
Box Is a Complete Solution
Box is a remote service for online file storage. It is one of the most complete services and has recently upgrades it’s storage capacity to compete with other services. Box gives you the ability to create and edit documents remotely and in a group with its own text editor known as “web documents”. Can it replace much of the functionality of google docs?
Using Box On Any Device
You can install Box on various operating systems and devices: Windows, Mac, iPad, iPhone, Android and Windows Phone. You can also access your files from their website. This is nice because it allows you to easily access your files even if you are not near your computer.
Benefits of Box
The Box Personal service is free, with which you can have files that use up to 5 GB of space. You can also pay for services that allow you to have more space, which can reach up to 50 GB (for personal accounts, business accounts can reach up to 1000 GB). Here are some of the main benefits of Box:
- With the free personal account, you can get up to 5GB of storage space.
- The free account allows you to have up to 100 MB files. For larger files you are required to have a paid account.
- You can access your files from anywhere, with any of your devices using a Box client, called Box Sync (for Windows and Mac), their website, or application for iPad, iPhone, Android or
- Windows phone.
- You do not need an Internet connection to view files you already have on your device. You can even add things to your Box folder and the client will transfer when a connection is available.
- With Box you can share files or folders with others by sending them a link to access the file or folder. Box will send you a notice as your shared files are accessed.
- You can invite others to use a folder, it will be shared among all members of the folder. Changes that are made by others is reflected to you immediately.
- You can use Box from your mobile devices.
- Box protects your files with SSL and cryptography algorithms.
- Box lets you add comments to files, allowing you to have a number of comments with others who share files. You can even start sequences, comments and lists.
- You can protect files with password access.
Using the Box Folder
The Box program gives you a Box folder, which is used like any other folder on your computer: put folders in to organize your files and add files at your convenience, you can even open them directly with applications like Word, Excel, etc. The difference is that the folder is automatically synchronized with the Box cloud.
Adding Files to the Box Folder
The way Box works is you basically subscribe to the service and install a client. In your operating system, it offers you a folder called “Box Documents”. Everything you put in that folder is automatically saved in the cloud by Box Sync, a safe, exclusive area for your files.
Installing Box On Your Other Devices
If you have other devices such as another computer, install it on the second computer, you can use your account to access your stuff, and presto! All your files will be available, plus they are synchronized in both directions: the first computer’s changes will be in the second and vice versa, it’s simple because you’re working on a shared disk.
Sharing Folders and Files
You can also share folders or files (that are within your Box Documents folder Box) with other users. Sometimes, you can forget to move things from work to home using USB sticks. In order for Box to work, you need an Internet connection.
The time it takes file synchronization depends on both your bandwidth and the amount of information to be transmitted. You can also use Box without Internet connection, with the understanding that the synchronization automatically occurs until you have an available connection.
Box Online Storage
- Intuitive Collaboration Features
- API & SDK Capabilities
- Great Free & Paid Storage Plans